We demand closure as though our lives are put together as a novel. But the fact is, they’re not. Real life is messy, and poorly written, ending too early or too late or right in the middle of a sentence.
It takes courage not to settle, and it takes courage to accept an apology that you never got. Below is a meditation that I use to help me let go of the things that I find hard to move past, because I wanted an ending. I wanted a clear reason as to why I should either keep going, or wait, but I’ve learned we don’t always get one.
My element is air, I close my eyes and find peace in sitting in an open field, or on top of a mountain-it reminds me of how small I am in this world, and how there is so much more above me. When I meditate I picture myself sitting somewhere so high up, that I’m surrounded by the haziness of the clouds. Your “happy” or “go to” place, will be something completely different.
This meditation is designed to provide a smooth and effective means to let go.
- Sit or lie comfortably with your eyes closed. Take a deep breath and exhale. Do this two more times. Relax however you prefer! Once relaxed, mentally count down from seven to one, relaxing more deeply as you do so.
- On the count of one, find yourself in your safe place. Feel the beauty, love, blessed solitude, or enchantment of this place. Invite your higher self to join you.
- Now, find a long stick and with it draw a large circle on the ground. Call in the other person. He or she will appear within the circle. Say to that person what you would say to them if you could. Insist that all ties and connections between the two of you be severed. The other person may object, but remain firm, in time, they will agree whether their reaction was what you wanted or not.
- Now, sense a white cord extending from your navel to the navel of the other person. Feel a rush of energy flowing from the other person through the white cord and into you. Really feel it-it will be powerful and elevating experience.
- When your energy has been returned to you, take the white cord and disconnect it from your navel. It is common to experience grief at this time. Feel it deeply-it needs to be felt.
- Now, lean into your higher self’s arms if you need to. Your higher self will mend the whole in your stomach where the cord once was. It is now filled with self love. Feel the love and the nurturing.
- Now, close your mental eyes and mentally count down from one to five. On the count of five, open your physical eyes.
This exercise might need to be repeated several times before you feel a difference.